Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Favorite Recipes

I've always loved ham and bean soup. My mom used to make it when I was growing up, and it was my favorite. Even after I'd moved to Minnesota for law school she would freeze it and load up a cooler with some frozen soup when I came to visit. I've been struggling with lunches lately, and finding food with a good mix of protein and carbs, so I decided it was time to learn to make it myself. I started poking at recipes, looking for ideas and thinking I'd make a batch this weekend. When Aaron and I were shopping tonight I saw some gorgeous smoked, cured ham shanks from the organic farm, and seemed like a sign.

Work has been crazy busy this week, and to top it off I have a work event tomorrow night, so I decided to just toss everything in the crockpot. Right now a ham shank, a pound of beans, chopped celery and onion, and a bay leaf are soaking, and with any luck, by the time I get up tomorrow morning the whole house will smell like awesome, smoky soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment